Thursday, March 11, 2010

Square foot Garden

not my garden photo found here

We are going to try again this year to grow a garden. Every year around this time I get an "itch" to start planting things. I come from a long line of farmers and gardeners so I think it's in my blood. Or it should be. To date I haven't been very successful with actually keeping the plants alive. But every year I try. We are going to plant a square foot garden and I found a cool design from this site. It has all kinds of useful information and makes things sound so straight forward and, dare I say, easy, that I think even a novice like me could make a go of it.
This is what we are going to grow: Kale, green beans, broccoli, arugula, eggplant, hot peppers, bell peppers, leeks, cucumbers, leaf lettuce, spinach, okra, and of course tomatoes. The list looks pretty lofty but we are optimists at heart.
Of course, we always have our local farmers market that we will continue to support. And a csa that may deliver right to our front door (wouldn't that be nice)! We may end up bursting at the seams with fresh produce this summer, in which case we may need to seriously consider investing in a deep freeze. I can think of nothing I would like more than to provide local, whole, organic food for my family. Can anyone say super mom award?
Does anyone else have plans for a garden this summer? I would love to hear any plans or ideas!

I am also going to plant a little kitchen herb garden and guess where I am going to plant it? In an old wheelbarrow. It is my husband's idea and I think its great. Just drill a few hole in the bottom for irrigation and then add soil and herbs. Super easy and unique too. I love it!

4 comments:

  1. I think it sounds great! We are in our third year of gardening at the Alford homestead! We started with a small box, about 3 foot by 12 foot with strawberries, okra, and about 6 stalks of corn with greenbeans vining up their stalks. We had a couple of pots with tomatoes too. Last year after we saw we would maintain and commit, we left that bed for strawberries only, and Kelly built us a 12'x12' bed. We did corn w/the pole beans again, okra, tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers, lettuce, and I think that's it. We ate out of it all summer. The corn and green beans didn't last long, but everything else produced until fall...when we abandoned it. This year, I think I've talked him into adding another box the same size for adding cucumbers, squash, spinach, and some melons. We love it. The kids love it, and they eat so well knowing they grew it all. Good luck! I haven't tried an herb garden, but I love the way they look and smell! Post pictures when you get yours up and growing. Can't wait to hear how good everything tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might have to add strawberries too, Mason loves them! The boys are really excited about the garden, they have both told me that they will water it and pick the veggies.
    I would love to see pictures of your garden too if you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and saying "hello."
    Of course I have a fondness for redheads (my mom and my nephew both sport the beautiful color), so I loved your blog title.

    I envy you and your garden. I use to try, but finally decided that I didn't inherit my mother's green thumb...mine is more a nice shade of black. :)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to do a little this year, have to figure out a way to keep the dog out of it. she's really done a number on my backyard this winter and there's tons of work to repair and replant stuff she's destroyed.
    Robby, sounds like you have a green thumb~Grandmother would have loved that!!

    ReplyDelete