Saturday, March 20, 2010

Things we Find in the Garden

The warm weather beckoned as the four walls closed in and before long we found ourselves in our big backyard balancing on the old railroad posts that make up our little garden. Round and round we went weaving stories in the air. We are going to grow strawberries and almonds and soybeans (this all from M) and we are going to have a vineyard and grow grapes.

The laughter bubbled up as the stories grew bigger, the food more exotic, some real and some imagined. We were on our fiftieth loop around the garden and had just decided that we needed to triple the size (to fit the cupcake tree we were going to transplant from chocolateville) when out of the corner of my eye I.See.A.Snake!!!

My husband asked me later: what kind of snake was it? Is he kidding me? Did you chase it out of our yard? Really? Did you take a picture of it with you phone? Hysterical laughter from me. Did it hiss or rattle? I don’t know. You didn’t hear anything, what were you doing? I was too busy screaming: M and N RUN!!
>
In hindsight I realize that I may have overreacted a bit. The snake was probably enjoying the sunshine as much as we were (and possibly the tale of fresh produce all summer long). We probably scared him as much as he scared us. But none of that matters to me. I guess I’m not much of a farmer. I’m still a city girl at heart!

I was thinking of posting a picture of a snake for this post but all the pictures scare me. Just use your imagination!

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya! I'd have run too:) Like the idea of a cupcake tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! The snake was scary, we are still talking about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a farm girl, and I would have run. We have strict delegation of duties in our family: I get spiders and bugs; kev gets snakes and mice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your imagination, but when it comes to the snake I'd be getting out of there. Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete