Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Beginnings

Before:



After:



There is a comfortable vibe to this old house. It has no expectations for us except to just live here and be. The big house that we had in another town was showy and impersonal. The crown molding was beautiful and the rooms spacious but it was never home. We were trying too hard to hang out with the popular kids.

This house is like an old woman who forgot to wear her night cream. She needs us to help make her beautiful again or at least presentable in public. I think we are up for the task. To peel away the ugly and see what lies beneath. And as we tear down the wallpaper and carpet and counter tops, it’s like we are tearing down our own expectations of what status and success and perfect looks like. We are rebuilding not only this worn out house but also who we are, our values and dreams for the future.

God has brought us to this little town and this little house to show us how to live.
I am linking this post to Transformation Thursday

Jessica over at A Few of my Favorite Things was sweet enough to invite me to link up to her Favorite Things Friday. She is a very talented photographer, go check out her site!
I am also linking up with (in)courage Spring Fever party today. I have been subscribing to (in)courage for months and it has been such a blessing to me! If you don't know about them yet PLEASE go check it out!

14 comments:

  1. I really like what you've done with your backsplash. We are looking to dress ours up sometime soon as well. I also admire your transparency and honesty in talking about your former and current houses. I know God has great plans for you and your home! Come see me sometime at sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia- Thanks for coming over and being a part of Arkansas Women Bloggers. I absolutely ADORE the tin backsplash, just beautiful. Also, I love your analogy about your home and it looks like you have found an authenticity in life where hanging with the popular kids is not what is important in life.
    Stephanie (The Park Wife)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about our house. We bought it 6 months ago, and it had been sadly neglected by the previous owners. Now I think it's becoming happy again! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it~and I love your home. It is comfortable and has always reminded me of Grandmother and Grandpa's red brick home. Just wraps you in its arms when you walk in and asks you if you're hungry and what can it get you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you've done to the kitchen Amelia! You do have a sweet little home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. I don't think chalkboard paint will ever get old! If you are interested, I would love you to post this on my Favorite Things Friday party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really pretty. I would never have thought to try black below the cabinets but it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! The backsplash is very elegant. The Lord is teaching me to be content where I am...wich happens to be living in our basement while we build our home. It's taking a while, so I am having to do some "makeovers" in the basement. I'll be sharing my progress on my blog.
    Thank have you for your visit today! Please feel free to drop by anytime you have a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The backsplash looks wonderful, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you put that, God has a way of doing that too people! showing them things in such awesome ways! I love the backsplash and hope to see more updates on your home!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of your sweet comments! I am so pleased with the way the kitchen turned out I can't wait to tackle the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your comment about "hangin with the cool kids". Isn't it SO freeing when you decide what the cool kids think really isn't important after all. I love your backsplash - such charm.

    ReplyDelete