My great aunt Edna had a roadside café in Ashville NC. She would start her day at 4 a.m. rolling out dough for homemade buttermilk biscuits and making meringue for pies- chocolate, lemon, and coconut cream. I would sit on a bar stool, legs tucked under, eyes wide with wonder, as I felt the energy of the café pulse all around me. It was magical.
My Grandmother was a small feisty southern woman who taught as she worked. She could grow the sweetest, juiciest tomatoes and we would eat them sun warmed and salted off the vine. She would put away corn and string beans. Make homemade pickles with fresh dill and jellies of every kind. She could make fried okra like nobody’s business!
I learned to cook in my mother’s kitchen. With gentle instruction she would give me free reign to create and explore. She taught “healthy” with a southern twist. I was introduced to grains, nuts, sprouts, fruits and vegetables and how to combine them to make delicious whole meals.
My mother-in-law is hospitality extraordinaire. She can set a table and host a party with grace and charm. The food is beautifully presented, linens pressed, candles lit and she makes it all look easy. It’s a joy for her to feed her family and she makes you feel warm and welcome.
My little ones sit on the countertop next to the stove in my kitchen, much like where I sat as a girl in my mother’s kitchen. As I wrap an apron around I teach them how to stir measure and pour. I’m doing much more than teaching them how to cook. I’m passing down a legacy of love than has grown and endured through the generations of women who came before me.
I'm sharing this today at Home is...Wearing an Apron over at Reluctant Entertainer.
wow. I can't cook...well I can, but I don't like to, because I'm not good at it. What a blessing to have such a culinary legacy to pass down!
ReplyDeleteI love your story, it brought back memories. Just curious was there a wood cook stove? We had similar grannies only mine lived on a farm outside of Asheville and wee bit past Burnsville :)
ReplyDeleteI love it! Isn't it rewarding to pass things down to your children!
ReplyDeleteaww...your words are always so touching! I can just imagine a little girl up on a counterstool watching her aunt at that roadside cafe. I too used to watch and cook with my mom and still enjoy doing so. Love that we can do these simple things with our children and create memories along the way.
ReplyDeleteAunt Edna's biscuits were the only ones I never had to put butter, honey or jelly one. They just melted in your mouth on their own. Pure bliss!
ReplyDeleteOne thing I have always admired about Grandmother and Mom is that they both love to learn knew things in the kitchen. Even up to her death Grandmother loved to learn a healthier way to do things and as you know Mom is always evolving as a cook.
You, yourself are a FANTASTIC cook and I love to see what's in your frig when I come for a visit!
I have to say the fried Okra and the vine-warm salted tomatoes, eaten out in the garden or in the backyard are my personal favorites :)
So happy to hear that your kids get to sit on the counter while you cook! I was always in the kitchen with my mom, too.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Thoughtful words! And thanks for linking up at RE today! :)
That's a very sweet story ! I'm stopping by from the apron party.
ReplyDeleteOh, this was so cute. Loved the story! And I love that apron with the blue fish on it!
ReplyDeletemoving tale,
ReplyDeletehappy apron party!
what creative idea!
I think that's such a wonderful - and practical - tradition to pass down!
ReplyDeleteAmelia, every time I read your posts I long to just sit with you in your kitchen and talk. Your posts always comfort me. I don't know if it is your words, or just feeling connected to you. What a wonderful friend you are! I am so blessed to have you in my life!
ReplyDeleteAmelia, I'm so proud of you and Becca to be able to put your thoughts down on paper. I love you both! Sara
ReplyDeleteIt sure is. I'm so glad aprons are making a come back - for some of us, they never left. :)
ReplyDeleteThat was beyond lovely. It took me back to being in the kitchen with my Mom and Nana as teeny tiny tot. Thank you!
ReplyDelete